Music to Me

      Music is an extremely focal part of my life and something that can change my mood in an instant. I like many genres of music, almost all of them, my favorites being indie, rock, some pop, jazz, blues, alternative, and some hip-hop. Music has a very big influence on my life. I'm always looking for new genres and new music and new lyrics I relate to. As soon as I get home, my earbuds are in while I'm doing homework, and while I'm walking from class to class, music is constantly playing. I share music with other people and receive recommendations, and also make my own based on the influence I get from the music I listen to. Music is a way for me to hold onto my sense of self and happiness when something stressful is going on in my life (which is all the time) and a way for me to express myself and my feelings.
     One of the best parts of music is the lyrics. I always enjoy well-written lyrics and try to use songs to apply to every situation. Hearing lyrics that I can relate to makes me feel as though I'm not alone in the emotions and thoughts that I'm feeling. Lyrics are also a sort of poem, that I can explore for deeper meaning, and easy to sing along to. Lyrics can truly express the darkest part of the human soul and the most beautiful aspects of it also. Writing my feelings out into lyrics is a way to express myself more deeply than I could just saying what I was feeling. Lyrics are a way to make words into musical poems, and always ring true with me. I take lyrics from songs I like and post them around my room to give me motivation, and lyrics of songs always provide a place for me to feel safe in.
     Another part of music I really enjoy is the musicality itself. I'm a musician, so I am able to more deeply understand complexities behind songs. I am able to more deeply analyze the different instruments and chord progressions and different key changes, which makes listening to music not just a background activity for me. I truly love to immerse myself in the music, rather than just listen to it. By trying to more deeply understand the music, I am able to gain inspiration for my own life and how to live it by gaining courage, expressing sadness, feeling joy through the music I listen to.

Comments

  1. As a fellow musician I also deeply enjoy some good fun analyzing the chords and deep meaning of Gucci Gang and other masterpieces, and sometimes I become so wrapped in up in the hidden meaning of the repeated I, IV, and V chords that I don't listen to the words, yet they still seem to effect my mood and behavior. Is it actually the notes and music that creates this mood, or do we subconsciously listen to the lyrics and internalize them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i totally agree that music is a huge part of our lives. like you, I emjoy several kinds of music genres and each of them can instantly change my mood. I think that my favorite part of songs are the lyrics, especially the ones with real, raw, deep meaning. lyrics help listeners to understand humanity in different ways, which could be beautiful or saddening. though I do not know much about instruments, chord progressions, and key changes, I can definitely say that words are one of the most important parts of a song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just starting to realize how powerful music can be. Like you, music can change my moods in a flash. If I have a bad day I can just lose myself in the music. Music can make me happy, sad, energetic or calm. Realizing the power of music, not only the lyrics but also the melody, the chord changes, the various instruments used, has made me appreciate music much more than I did before.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Internet Humor

Disparities Between Korean and American Advertising

Message of Hypocrisy in Miss Representation