F@%& the NRA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu_7m--Ozrs


      Last Friday, I popped into Mr. Starace's classroom to talk to him about the school shooting that had occurred this morning before I went to Mr. Griffin's. He invited me to stay in the classroom because he was showing the class something related to that, so I decided to stay. Mr. Starace showed us a political ad from candidate Pat Davis, running as a New Mexico congressional candidate. In the ad, Pat Davis begins with the very strong statement, "F@%& the NRA." He then goes on to state, "Their pro-gun policies have resulted in dead children, dead mothers, and dead fathers. He finishes with: "I'm Pat Davis, and I approve this message. Because if Congress won't change our gun laws, we're changing Congress." He speaks against a backdrop of the Sandia Mountains in Albuquerque, with a stern expression on his face. His main selling point on this ad is that he is progressive, and a gun violence survivor, as stated underneath the ad.
     This ad appeals to the pathos of the ethos, pathos, logos triangle. Pat Davis is obviously trying to appeal to the millions of people angered by the state of gun violence in this country, and those who are angered by it in his state. However, New Mexico isn't the best state to use this approach on, as it is a very pro-gun state though it is blue. This ad was not well-received by voters in New Mexico, rather people in different states who strongly support his message of being very anti-gun. He definitely wants to appeal to the progressive parts of New Mexico, and the individuals who are hurt and angered by the NRA's policies remaining unchanged even in the face of mass shootings. I feel as though he also wants to make a stir because of the fact that he uses an expletive in his political ad, an approach that political candidates usually do not take. This ad succeeded in that aspect, that everyone was talking about how he used the f-bomb, and about one of the most powerful organizations in America currently.
    I felt as though I personally agreed with this ad, though it didn't need to go to this extent. There is a lot of pent up anger and hatred towards the NRA, and for good reason. After I heard the news of the shooting this Friday, I felt hollow. Empty. Void of feeling because I was so sad that this had happened again, that ten lives were taken senselessly, by guns. I don't think banning guns is the answer. However, background checks and stricter gun laws are the answer. This has to stop. I do not want to live in fear that one day I will go to school and never come home. I do not want to mourn the loss of strangers in another state, or mourn the loss of my friends or family if they lose their lives. I think this kind of ad has to happen for there to be any change.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Internet Humor

Disparities Between Korean and American Advertising

Message of Hypocrisy in Miss Representation