Coping Using Tech

   



       The seniors had their last day of school last Friday, and it was quite difficult for me. I have a lot of senior friends, and I formed so many close bonds with many of the people leaving to different parts of the country or state. I felt extremely sad at the changes in my life, and was finding it difficult not to be consumed by the fear that we would not remain in touch, and our dynamics would change. They were going on to greater things, and I knew this, but that didn't make my fear lessen or my sadness become alleviated. Though I have a year and a half to two year age gap with a lot of my senior friends, I formed the closest bonds with many of them than I had with anyone else. They were, and are, people that matter a lot to me, and the fact that they are leaving is very hard for me to grasp and come to terms with. However, my reassurance actually came from a surprising source. Media and technology have become the shining light for me in this situation.
      I felt an extreme sense of reassurance that I would be able to keep in touch, and preserve, the bonds that I have created with many of my friends that are going on to greater things. Technology has truly provided that sense of reassurance, that those bonds won't break because we will be able to stay in touch through texting, calling, facetiming, and communicating to find out ways to meet with each other. I also feel as though technology is something I can rely on to feel reassured. It is something that I find truly positive in technology, because I thrive off of human connection. I'm a natural born extrovert, and technology helps me to keep in touch with people that I normally would lose touch with. Technology is largely positive influence on me because of that social aspect, that I am able to keep in touch with people I love without drifting apart.
      The reliance that I have on technology and the value I place in the interactions I have through technology is not necessarily a good thing. I feel as though there are two sides to every coin, and relying on technology to preserve connections isn't always going to work. I feel as though forcing connections to work using technology is not necessarily the best approach. Technology is superficial in a sense also, and drifting apart and changing is bound to happen. For now, however, technology is a crux for me to cope with this loss, and a way for me to just feel as though these connections will remain the way they are.

Comments

  1. I think that while there's lots negative connotations with technology and media used by teens today, I feel like the use of talking and making connections to people that can't always be made in person, is a wonderful attribute that is really becoming a pertinent part of our society today.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Influence of Music Videos

Internet Humor

Music to Me